EA's Origin platform still has a long way to go before it is as polished as Steam. However, EA are working on making it better by the release of opt-in beta patching. The latest is now available and includes a reduction in CPU load - something many Battlefield 3 fans have asked for especially with the new DLC incoming - and an improved DLC download experience.
Origin 8.6 Release Notes
- Fixed several issues with the DLC download system, including one that was causing users to time out before completion.
- Added hovercards to the Origin friends list. You can now mouse over a friend’s name to pop up their real name. Users who have hidden their real names will remain hidden.
- Added release dates to all DLC available for pre-order.
- Fixed several issues that were causing Origin to crash.
- Reduced the client’s CPU load.
This is a step in the right direction for EA and Origin and it will be interesting watching this platform grow.